What is a traineeship?
A traineeship is a great work-based training programme giving you the skills and experience that employers are looking for with the aim of progressing onto an apprenticeship or into employment.
Programmes can be tailored to meet your needs and prepare you for what local businesses are looking for.
Our traineeships last up to 12 weeks and include the following four core elements:
- training to prepare you for work, including CV writing and what to expect in the workplace
- support to improve your English, maths and digital skills if you need it
- sector focused vocational learning to help prepare you for your apprenticeship or job and recognition of your learning
- A high-quality work experience placement with an employer of choice with a guaranteed interview or reference
How will a traineeship help me?
A traineeship can be a starting point to prepare you for an apprenticeship at a higher level and they’re a great option for you if you want to start on the road to a rewarding career but don’t have many qualifications or much work experience.
What can I expect?
If you are interested get in touch and we will talk you through how a traineeship works, check your eligibility, and explain how a traineeship can be your next step towards getting an apprenticeship or job. If would like to go ahead our placement officer will then be in contact to discuss the available employer work placement vacancies.
Once we have agreed potential placement employers, interviews will be arranged and if successful a date will be set for you to start your work placement.
Alongside your work placement you will also attend your local training centre where you will work on developing your maths, English and employability skills to further support you in being able to progress successfully in your next career step.
Throughout your traineeship you will have dedicated pastoral support which will focus on getting you ready for applying for a job. All of learners will receive the opportunity of a guaranteed interview and will be provided with dedicated support to help you progress.
What additional support will I get?
Along with recognition of your learning, there will be support to link you with job opportunities. You may get:
- Expenses to support with transport e.g. weekly bus pass
- Up to £15 a week for lunch
- Support from your local Jobcentre Plus if you are eligible for work benefits
- If you are eligible, you can maintain your entitlement to benefits whilst on a traineeship, as necessary.
Who can apply?
A Traineeship course is suitable for learners who are:
• Eligible to work in England
• Have little or no work experience, but who are motivated to work
• Aged 19 to 24 – or 25 with an EHC plan and qualified up to level 3
If you meet the above criteria, you can undertake a traineeship.
Want to sign up or find out more? We would love to hear from you!
All you need to do is email us at Traineeships@portlandtraining.co.uk or telephone 0114 205515 and we will contact you to discuss in further detail.